Want to help?
There are many opportunities to serve within our Special Needs Ministry! Whether you are looking for a one-time volunteer occasion or an ongoing commitment, we have a fit for you! Please take a look at our list of programs and opportunities to determine where you might serve. Contact Eleanor Waterman, Karen Teller, or Maria Baughman with any questions. Students (6th-12th grade) are welcome also!
Ways to serve with the Special Needs Ministry
Be a part of a weekly prayer team - be willing to receive emails with prayer requests to pray over
- Teach or be an assistant at 9:00, 10:15, or 11:30 in the separate class.
- Be a buddy to a child in their small group at 9:00, 10:15, or 11:30.
- Be an “on call” doctor or nurse during 9:00, 10:15, or 11:30 and willing to come to classroom if the need arises
- Volunteer for our NEW Wednesday Night Class, "Special Friends" (6:30 PM)
- Serve at a monthly respite (3 hours)
- Help setup/clean-up
- Be paired with a child with special needs or a typically developing sibling
- On call nurses to be present for respite
- Be willing to be on an “emergency” list to fill in (as a buddy or classroom assistant) if we have an unexpected absence on Sunday morning at 9:00, 10:15 or 11:30.
- Join our hospitality list that provides needed support during difficult times by:
- providing meals
- making a quick grocery store run for a few essentials (such as milk, cereal, bread)
- providing needed home assistance such as house cleaning, lawn mowing, etc.
- providing care for children so parents can go to Dr appointments, emergency care
- Provide desserts for a parent social at a respite (on a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon-held monthly).
- Sponsor the monthly respite craft – individual or group would be responsible for gathering the materials needed for the craft(s).
- Sponsor the monthly snack for respite
- Send “get well”,“thinking of you”, “prayed for you” cards to those in the special needs ministry who are going through tough times or recovering from illness.
- Donate needed supplies to Special Needs programs.
- Assist with administrative tasks (copies, phone calls etc)