Key Scripture: Titus 2:3–5 “Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.”
Though these verses specifically address women, the surrounding verses 1–8 and the use of the word “likewise” reveal many of the same general expectations of men and women. All of the characteristics are to be rooted in and flowing from sound doctrine.
In verse 3, we see God’s expectations of more mature women. However, when we look at verses 4–5, we realize the older women cannot teach the younger women something they do not already know and do. So, even though some characteristics are age-specific, these are all aims of godly character as women grow in Christ-likeness.
What does a maturing woman look like? She exhibits surrender to the Lord by being dignified, honest, self-controlled, a good caregiver of her family, blameless, marked by kindness and respect, teachable, and a trainer of other women in these things. Her “why” is important. This is not for her recognition. She embodies these traits so God is honored and the gospel goes forth.
Questions to Consider: Is God’s glory my chief aim? Do others observe these characteristics in me? In which area do I struggle the most? Am I intentionally coming alongside someone younger for his or her spiritual good?
- Pray that God would be glorified as Candi radiates Christ-likeness.
- Pray that God would provide Candi with deep godly relationships with women, as well as godly relationships for Lilly, Zeke and Kate.
- Pray that God would give her joy in the use of her spiritual gifts.
- Pray that Candi will be a source of stability for her family during this time of transition.
- Pray that God would be her greatest treasure and comfort.
- Pray that her relationship with God would encourage her husband, doing him good. (Prov 31:12)
- Pray that God would give her strength as her husband’s helper (Gen 2:18).
- Pray that God would protect their marriage and strengthen their unity, as well as their family’s unity.
- Pray that God would grant her and the children peace through their transition here.
- Pray that our church body would embrace their family well.